Do you live abroad and have a question about services and documents for Belgians abroad? Then please first consult the website of the local Belgian embassy or consulate. This website will provide answers taking into account how things work in the particular country where you are living. If you still have a question, then please contact the embassy or consulate directly. Website and contact details for the embassies and consulates are displayed on this page.

If you are Belgian, all changes to your civil status are governed by Belgian law. Belgian law applies even if you live abroad.

If you live abroad, you must inform your local Belgian consulate of any changes to your civil status.

The recognition of foreign documents and certificates in Belgium and their transcription into the civil status registers will be covered extensively in this section.

In some cases, the Head of a Belgian consulate abroad can act as a Registrar. This section clarifies which documents and certificates they may draw up.