Temporary press card Federal Public Service (FPS) Foreign Affairs
You are a foreign journalist and want to be accredited as a professional journalist in Belgium? Read the following information carefully before submitting your demand.
- What is a temporary press card?
- Who can apply for it?
- How to request a provisional press card?
- How to contact the press office?
- How to apply for the permanent Belgian press card?
- How to apply for accreditation at the European institutions and at NATO?
The accreditation issued by the press office FPS Foreign Affairs, Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation consists of a temporary Belgian press card with a 6-month validity.
The temporary press card from the FPS Foreign Affairs is required in order to obtain the permanent Belgian press card and the permanent NATO press card. It is also a means of identification as a professional journalist pending the permanent press card issued by FPS Internal Affairs.
For journalists from outside the European Union (EU) / European Economic Area (EEA), the temporary press card is also one of the required documents for the combined permit, necessary to reside and work in Belgium.
Employed or freelance journalists working for a foreign media. The procedure differs whether or not you are a national of an EU / EEA country.
You are eligible if:
- You do not have the Belgian nationality and you work for a foreign media.
- Journalism is your main occupation and allows you to live in Belgium.
- You are at least 21 years old.
- You have been working as a professional journalist for at least 2 years without interruption.
You are not eligible if:
- You work for a Belgian media. In this case, contact the General Association of Professional Journalists in Belgium (AGJPB) for your accreditation. The AGJPIB is composed of the AJP (association of French-speaking and German-speaking professional journalists) and the VVJ, the Dutch-speaking sister organization.
- You are staying in Belgium with a student visa.
- Journalism is not your main occupation.
- You receive assistance from the Public Centre for Social Welfare (CPAS/OCMW). As a journalist, you do not live on your income.
You are an employed or freelance journalist from the EU / EEA
Contact one of the press attachés of the press service to receive a list of the requested documents. Once your press file is approved, an appointment will be fixed to collect your provisional press card at the FPS Foreign Affairs.
You are an employed or freelance journalist from outside the EU / EEA
Contact the Belgian diplomatic or consular post of your country of residence. This post will send you the list of required documents and follow up your demand.
Once your press file has been approved, you must:
- As an employed journalist, apply for a single permit through your employer to the competent Region.
- As a freelance journalist, apply for a professional card through the Belgian diplomatic or consular post.
Once in Belgium, contact one of the press officers to fix an appointment to collect your provisional press card.
You can always contact one of the press officers at the Press Office by telephone or e-mail if you have questions:
Mrs. Veerle Van Bever: +32 (0)2 501 8407, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Michael Vlamijnck: +32 (0)2 501 4481, email@example.com
Address: Rue des Petits Carmes 15, 1000 Brussels, Belgium (by appointment only)
Once you have collected your temporary press card from the FPS Foreign Affairs and registered your residence with the local authority, you can request the national press card form the FPS Home Affairs via the International Press Association in Brussels (API/IPA).
- Interinstitutional accreditation, valid for the European Parliament, the Council and the Commission (with the exception of the European Councils and high level events).
- Accreditation at the European Parliament.
- Accreditation at the European Council / Council of the European Union.
- Permanent NATO accreditation
We are currently working on the renewal of our website. In order to get a better idea of who is consulting our website and what information he or she is looking for, we would like to ask you to complete this short survey. This will only take a few minutes of your time. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
You can find the survey here: https://qlite.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4VdkGChG6BNcVXD
If necessary, you can change the language of the survey in the top right corner.