Last updated on
This page contains general information posted by the FPS Foreign Affairs. If you are residing abroad, please verify in this list whether your embassy or consulate has posted specific information for your place of residence on its website.
A passport is an official, worldwide recognised travel document. It allows travel in all countries of the world, if necessary after obtaining a visa. It is in the format of a booklet.
Do you always need a passport to travel?
No. The Belgian identity card – which is compulsory – allows you to travel in about 50 countries
You only need a passport:
- If you are travelling to a country that does not recognise the Belgian identity card.
- If you reside in a country that requires a passport to issue you with a residence permit that allows you to reside there.
- All Belgians, from birth, can obtain their own passport.
- A Belgian passport is valid for 7 years (5 years for minors)
- The passport remains valid after moving to another Belgian municipality or abroad.