Still valid on
Last updated on
We strive to ensure that you receive a passport as well as a high quality service.
In spite of all the precautions we are taking, the risk of unforeseen circumstances including potential negative consequences for you, cannot be ruled out.
Therefore, we have introduced 2 compensation procedures:
1. Defective passport: in your opinion, does your passport show a production defect? Do you wish to have it replaced? Have you suffered damages due to this production defect? See below for further information.
2. Technical or administrative problems arising in the course of the passport application: Were you, due to the material being defective, unable to have your passport application registered when visiting your passport administration? Did you have your details registered and were you invited by your administration to return because your details had been lost? Did this problem cause you to suffer damages?
a. You lodged your application with a Belgian municipality: please, visit the pages in French or in Dutch of this website for further information.
b. You lodged your application with a permanent diplomatic mission or consular post abroad: see below.
A defective passport can cause problems at borders or airports.
Please take care of your passport, and be careful to avoid folds and creases (e.g. by putting your passport in your pocket), as this may render the chip in the passport unreadable.
When a manufacturing defect is confirmed after examination, the passport will be replaced free of charge!
Only a passport containing a manufacturing defect can be replaced free of charge.
If you think your passport has a manufacturing defect, you can have this checked.
Contact your local authority directly (or your embassy or consulate if you live abroad).
Important to know before submitting your request
- The defect must be an alleged manufacturing defect. Self-caused damage (intentional or accidental) does not entitle the user to a free replacement.
- A passport that is damaged or contains a manufacturing defect will not be returned to you, as it cannot be used without risk. The passport will be destroyed.
- If the passport does contain a manufacturing defect, you will receive a new passport with the same validity (= same start and end date), free of charge.
Have you suffered financial loss due to a production defect in your passport?
Due to a production defect in your passport, your trip could not take place as planned and as a result you believe that you have suffered damages because:
- you had to postpone your departure or cancel your trip;
- you were forced to stay abroad while waiting for a new passport;
- you had to interrupt your trip and return home.
In this case, you can submit a request for financial compensation to FPS Foreign Affairs for the damages suffered.
What conditions apply?
- Your passport must have a production defect. Only the passport’s maker can determine whether or not this is the case.
- You must be able to prove that the damages you suffered were caused exclusively by your defective passport.
How can you submit a request?
Complete the request for compensation form below.
Gather the following documents:
- Your defective passport. If you have already returned your passport to the issue location with a view to obtaining a replacement, please indicate this in the appropriate section of the form.
- Originals of all the supporting documentation pertaining to the travel and/or accommodation expenses you incurred.
- Any document or letter proving that on the scheduled date of your trip you were not able to make or continue the trip due to your passport being defective (for instance: official statement issued by the transport company, by a border control agency,…).
Send all the above-mentioned documents to the following address:
FPS Foreign Affairs
Travel and Identity Documents Department
Logistics and International standards (C2.1)
Rue des Petits Carmes 15
How long do you have to file a request?
You may submit a request up to 3 months after you become aware of the production defect.
What happens next?
We will inform you of our decision regarding your request for compensation within 3 months. Please note that submitting this type of request does not guarantee automatic acceptance on our part.
Should your request be deemed valid, we will suggest an amount to be paid as compensation.