Belgian passport

On this page you will find all the information about the Belgian passport.

FAQ about the Belgian passport

Frequently Asked Questions about the Belgian passport
  1. Last updated on

1. As a parent, can I ensure that a Belgian passport for my Belgian child can only be issued with my agreement?

Your child lives in Belgium

According to current legislation, if a parent applies for a Belgian passport for their child, the municipality must consider that he or she has the implicit agreement of the other parent, unless there are clear and concrete reasons for this to be doubted.

As a parent, you can ensure that a Belgian passport is only issued to your child with your explicit agreement. To that end, you can follow the instructions in the form (French (PDF, 464.24 KB) or Dutch (PDF, 461.71 KB))

This only concerns the Belgian passport because Belgium is not competent for the passports of other countries.

If your child lives abroad

Local legislation applies. Indeed, even if it is a Belgian passport and a Belgian child, the fact that the child lives in another country requires local rules concerning parental authority to be applied. On this subject, you can contact the FPS Foreign Affairs by e-mail:

2. I am travelling with my child, but we do not have the same surname. Could this be a problem?

An adult travelling with a child that has a different family name is definitely not a reason for suspicion or concern. During police checks, a different surname for a parent and a child is almost always never a problem. However, if you want to be able to provide an explanation or proof in the event of any questions about the different surnames, carry a birth certificate in several languages with you. This document may be obtained from the municipality in Belgium where your child was born/where the birth certificate was established. It also mentions your surname as parent.

3. Should a child have a parental authorisation to travel without his or her parents in the frame of a school trip or with a youth organisation?


"The parental authorisation" is the practice used that allows a parent or parents to authorise their children to travel without them.

During a normal identity check for a group of young people in reassuring circumstances, such as a school trip, an excursion or a youth organisation camp, especially in a European Union country, the parental authorisation is not necessary.

A group of children or young people, accompanied by teachers or instructors does not cause concern. 
Attention: an identity card or a passport is still required.

The police may ask for additional information, even if there is a parental authorisation form, if it has any questions about the context of the trip.

4. Can I have a copy of my Belgian passport certified?


Since July 2018, the FPS Foreign Affairs allows municipalities and consular posts to certify copies of (or excerpts from) the data page of Belgian passports.

Of course you cannot use this certified copy as a travel document, as will be mentioned (“This certified copy is not a valid travel document”).

If you have to use this copy abroad, it must be legalised or bear an apostille