What will be the impact of Brexit if I wish to move to the United Kingdom in order to live there?

Until 31 December 2020 (unless transition period is extended)

The current situation is maintained. As long as you meet the conditions set out under EU law, you may settle in the United Kingdom with your family members. According to current EU law, beyond a short stay of a maximum of 3 months, you may live in the UK if you:

  • work there as an employee
  • carry out an activity there as a self-employed person
  • study there (providing that you have enough income to provide for yourself and any family members and are covered by comprehensive health insurance).
  • stay there, as long as you are living on your own means of subsistence (provided you have sufficient income for you and your family and are covered by comprehensive health insurance);
  • are looking for a job there (as long as you are actively looking for a job and have genuine chances of being hired).

From 1 January 2021 (unless transition period is extended)

If you settled in the United Kingdom before the end of the transition period (31/12/2020) you are legally allowed to stay until 30 June 2021. After this date, you can only stay in the UK if your “pre-settled status” application has been successful (see question 2).

If you wish to settle in the United Kingdom after the end of the transition period (01/01/2021) you will no longer be covered by the withdrawal agreement. The British immigration law valid at that time will then be applicable to you. The British Home Office made an announcement  about that.


Back to the questions