High Level Event on the Reform of Investment Protection
On Thursday the 22nd of November 2018, the Belgian Federal Public Service of Foreign Affairs, Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation organized a High Level Event on the Reform of Investment Protection in the Egmont Palace in Brussels.
The objective of this event was to gather relevant stakeholders to discuss the state of play of Investor-State-Dispute Settlement (ISDS) reform and the perspectives for a Multilateral Investment Court (MIC). The event came at an important juncture in the ongoing debates in different fora to which Minister Reynders reiterated the strong commitment of Belgium. Besides high level introductory and closing speeches, the event has brought together civil society and academia, as well as business and arbitration experts.
- Speech by Minister of Foreign Affairs Didier Reynders
- Speech by European Commissioner for Trade Cecilia Malmström (PDF, 163.75 KB)
- James Zhan, Senior Director of Investment and Enterprise at the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) (PPTX, 429.83 KB)
- Loukas Mistelis, Professor of Transnational Law and Arbitration and Director of the School of International Arbitration at Queen Mary University of London, England (PPTX, 2.99 MB)
- Anna Joubin-Bret, Director of the International Trade Law Division at the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) (PPTX, 559.06 KB)