SOLVIT, mediation for administrative problems in Europe


What is SOLVIT?

SOLVIT is a free online mediation network set up by the European Commission in 2002 to help citizens and businesses living, working or studying in a Member State other than their own to solve administrative problems related to their rights as EU citizens. There is a SOLVIT Centre in all EU Member States (plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein). The Belgian SOLVIT Centre is affiliated to the FPS Foreign Affairs, Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation.

When can SOLVIT intervene?

SOLVIT can offer practical help through mediation to both businesses and citizens facing a problem that:

  • is cross-border in nature: within the European Union or in Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway;
  • is attributable to a practice or decision of a local, regional or national government;
  • is the result of a misapplication of European law.

How do I apply to SOLVIT?

If your problem meets the three criteria mentioned above, and you can demonstrate that you have already contacted the competent authority, you can submit your complaint via the website.

Your complaint will automatically be analysed by the Member State in which you acquire your rights or of which you are a national. They will contact you as soon as possible and explain what more SOLVIT can do for you. 


If your problem does not fit the above criteria, or you simply have a question about your rights as a citizen or business in Europe, please contact our colleagues in one of the following networks:

  • Please visit the European Commission's Your Europe website for general information on your rights in the European Union. You can also request free legal advice regarding your problem via this website.
  • Are you a third-country national and the partner of a Belgian/long-term resident and are you having problems obtaining a visa/residence permit in Belgium? Then Myria can help you further.
  • For more information on your rights as a consumer, or for assistance with a dispute over the purchase of goods or services in another EU Member State, Iceland, Norway or Liechtenstein, please contact the European Consumer Centre
  • For more information on your rights as an entrepreneur in Europe, or for mediation in disputes between European entrepreneurs, please contact Europe Enterprise Network.