Partnerships in development cooperation
Belgian development cooperation sets out to achieve its objectives by concluding various partnerships: with governments in developing countries and other donors present in the partner countries (governmental cooperation), with non-governmental actors in Belgium and its partner countries (through NGOs, universities and community-based organisations) and with multilateral organisations.
On top of this, Belgian development cooperation also funds a number of special programmes with different partners, including emergency aid, food aid and the Belgian Fund for Food Security.
Finally, raising public awareness and providing information are also important. One of the major challenges is to make sure that all these different channels, programmes and initiatives pull in the same direction.
DGD cooperates with following partners:
- Enabel, responsible for the governmental cooperation
- The Belgian Investment Company for Developing Countries (BIO) which supports the private sector in developing countries
- The recognised NGOs
- Belgian scientific institutions
- APEFE and VVOB
- Cities and municipalities through UVCW, AVCB/VSGB, VVSG
- Trade union organisations
- Clubs and shelters for students from developing countries staying in Belgium
- Migrant associations