Travel pass for refugees, stateless persons or foreign nationals


Certain foreign nationals residing in Belgium may apply for a travel pass which replaces the national passport they are unable to obtain.

If this is your case, from 1 January 2018, you must contact your municipal administrative service to obtain a travel pass.

You are recognised as a refugee or stateless person? 

You can go directly to your municipal administrative service with your residence permit (A, B, C, D, F(+) ) and a photo that conforms to standards. Children under 12 years must have an identity certificate for foreign children.

If your papers and your status are in order, your municipal administrative service will be able to directly register your application for a travel pass.

You are a foreign national but not recognised as a refugee or stateless person? 

You should normally either have or request a passport from your authorities (embassy, consulate).

In exceptional cases only, you can apply for a Belgian travel document for foreigners. To that end, you must request the approval of the FPS Foreign Affairs before going to your municipal administrative service.

1. With this  questionnaire (PDF, 305.5 KB) check whether you meet the basic conditions and which document(s) you require to be able to apply for a travel pass for foreign nationals.

2. If you meet these conditions, send an e-mail to (with the subject: "Application for a travel pass for foreign nationals") or a letter (FPS Foreign Affairs, Travel and Identity Documents Directorate, Service C2.2 Individual Dossiers & National Regulation, rue des Petits Carmes 15, 1000 Brussels) with the following information:

  • your last name and first names
  • your place of birth
  • your nationality
  • a copy of your residence permit
  • a copy of any other documents concerning your situation. Do not send the questionnaire, its only purpose is to help you.

In the case of an application for a minor, the parents or guardian submit the application.

Do not waste your submitting incomplete or inadmissible applications. If you do not belong to any of the categories listed in the questionnaire, you cannot apply for a Belgian travel document for foreigners.

3. When you receive the approval (by e-mail) from the FPS Foreign Affairs (expect a maximum delay of 6 weeks for the investigation), you can go to your municipal administration within 2 weeks with your identity papers and a picture complying with the standards.