The identity card for adults and children older than 12


This page contains general information posted by the FPS Foreign Affairs. If you are residing abroad, please verify in this list whether your embassy or consulate has posted specific information for your place of residence on its website.

All Belgian nationals over 12 years old who have their primary residence abroad and who are listed in the population registers of a Belgian embassy or career consulate, can apply for a Belgian identity card.

1. Validity of an eID

The validity depends on your age at the date of the application: 

Age at the date of the application Validity of the eID
Between 12 and 18
Between 18 and 75
Older than 75
6 years
10 years
30 years

The eID remains valid:

  • in case you move (to another career post, from or to Belgium)
  • if it was issued by a Belgian municipality and provided that the holder has reported his move to the municipal administration.

The eID is no longer valid:

  • if it is reported to have been lost or stolen
  • if the holder’s photo is no longer resemblant
  • if it was issued after August 2008 by a Belgian municipality and if the holder has not reported his move abroad to the municipal administration.

2. How much does an eID cost?

An eID costs 20 €, regardless of the age of the applicant.

3. Where and how to apply for an eID?

You have to send your application for an eID to the consular career post that has listed you in its population registers.

Please enclose:

  1. the application form ( French (PDF, 382.04 KB) -  Dutch (PDF, 1.05 MB)), duly completed and signed.
  2. proof of your payment of 20 € (contact your post for information on the payment modes).
  3. passport photo which meets the set standards (cfr. Website of the FPS of the Interior - French - Dutch).

Your application will be processed as soon as the form and photo have been submitted and the relevant payment has been made to the embassy or consulate.

In order to avoid unnecessary delays, please remember:

  • to specify your main language preference for your card,
  • to sign in the appropriate box. As soon as children can write (when aged 6), they should enter their name or signature in the box themselves. Should the applicant be unable to sign for medical or physical reasons, an explanation must be appended to the application. Any applicant unable to sign the application form should leave the box empty,
  • to indicate whether or not you want certificates immediately. If so, please collect your eID card in person.

4. Apply for an eID with or without certificates?

Electronic identity cards with certificates enable the holders to identify themselves and give their consent securely over the Internet in an internationally accepted manner (digital signature).

You can opt to have the certificates activated:

EITHER when lodging your request. Please note that:

  1. until further notice this is only possible if you have been registered by the Belgian embassy or consulate in Alicante, Barcelona, Berlin, Bern, The Hague, Geneva, Cologne, London, Luxemburg, Madrid, Paris, Tenerife.
  2. if you opt to have the certificates activated, you will have to collect your eID card in person at your embassy or consulate.

OR at a later date: If you opt not to use these functions now, you can always have them installed immediately on your eID card at a later date by any Belgian municipality or by one of the above-mentioned embassies or consulates. To do so, you will have to go there in person and bring along the PUK code of your eID card, which you received at about the same time as your eID.

For more information on the electronic identity card, the installation etc., please visit

5. Is your address mentioned on your eID?

If your eID was issued by an embassy or a consulate, your address has not been registered on the chip of your eID (not even if you have had the certificates activated). Only the name of the embassy or consulate where you were registered will figure in the section ‘’address’’.

Neither is the address mentioned on the eID itself.

In case you need an official Belgian document in order to confirm your address (e.g. for a bank in Belgium), you can request your embassy or consulate to issue a proof of residence (Attest van woonst / Attestation de domicile).