Retaining Belgian nationality
You must submit a declaration stating your intention to retain Belgian nationality before your twenty-eighth birthday, provided that you:
- were born abroad after 1 January 1967
- did not have your principal residence in Belgium during the period between the age of eighteen and twenty-eight
- do not work abroad either for the Belgian government or for a Belgian company or association
- hold one or multiple other nationalities
- did not acquire Belgian nationality after the age of eighteen
only if you were under 28 years old on 12 July 2018: did not apply for and obtain a Belgian passport or identity card between your 18th and 28th birthday.
If you are not sure whether these conditions apply to you, we advise you to make a statement concerning your desire to retain Belgian nationality.
This retention declaration shall be made at the Belgian consular offices where you are registered in the consular population register.