Notary expertise


Every human life is characterised by certain events that require the services of a notary (e.g. a marriage contract, alteration of a prenuptial agreement, cohabitation contract, legacy, purchase or sale of real estate, a mortgage, a public will or an international will, settlement of an inheritance, etc.).

Belgians residing abroad can turn to the competent local authority to deal with procedures concerning property and family law.

Belgians having their habitual residence in a country outside the European Union can also contact the Belgian consular representative competent for the consular jurisdiction.

Only the heads of consular missions whose consular jurisdiction is situated outside the European Union, are entitled to draw up notarial deeds.

As long as they observe the principle of what constitutes a 'Belgian interest', Belgium's representatives abroad are allowed to draw up notarial deeds in the same capacity as a notary in Belgium, provided that they have received a draft deed from a Belgian notary.

They can refuse to act as a notary if a legal or de facto difficulty prevents them from doing so.

For additional information we refer you to the Royal Federation of Belgian Notaries.