How to register


This page contains general information posted by the FPS Foreign Affairs. If you are residing abroad, please verify in this list whether your embassy or consulate has posted specific information for your place of residence on its website.

You must meet three requirements for your name to be registered in the register kept by your consulate:

  • You must be Belgian.
  • You must not be registered in a population register of a Belgian municipality.
  • You must prove that your main residence (or more specifically your main and lawful residence) does actually fall within the area of jurisdiction of the consulate. 

Minors must also meet a fourth requirement: they must be registered where one of their parents has been registered.

When you register, you will be asked to produce at least the following documents:

  • A 'model 8' form if you have come from Belgium (if still available).
  • A copy of your Belgian identity card.
  • A copy of your passport.
  • A copy of your long-term visa or your local residence permit or local identity card.
  • The questionnaire Inscription à l'Ambassade (in  French (PDF, 165.84 KB) or in  Dutch (PDF, 161.7 KB)), duly filled in, dated and signed. You fill in one form per family member, for minors please use this form (in  French (PDF, 165.78 KB) or in  Dutch (PDF, 189.61 KB)).
  • The application form for the elections for the Belgians abroad and the proxy form, if applicable.
  • Proof of your address: certificate of the local administration, invoice electricity/water or rental agreement,….

Since the nature of the documents required may differ according to the local situation, we would recommend that you contact your consulate beforehand;

Once you have registered, please alert the consulate or embassy to:

  • Each change of address within one month by means of this form (in  French (DOCX, 29.9 KB) or in  Dutch (DOCX, 27.39 KB)) and justified by the necessary proof (certificate of the local administration, invoice electricity/water or rental agreement).
  • Any change in your own civil status or that of members of your family, by submitting an original excerpt from the relevant document, e.g. marriage certificate, divorce certificate, birth certificate, adoption certificate or name change deed).
  • Any change in the composition of your household.
  • Any change of nationality by means of an authentic document/certificate issued by the national  competent authority.
  • Your wish to alter your voting method if you have been registered as a voter.

The consulate will incorporate any changes into your administrative file and modify your records in the National Register.