1. Last updated on

This page contains general information posted by the FPS Foreign Affairs. If you are residing abroad, please verify in this list whether your embassy or consulate has posted specific information for your place of residence on its website.

If you are Belgian, all changes to your civil status are governed by Belgian law. Belgian law applies even if you live abroad.

If you live abroad, you must inform your local Belgian consulate of any changes to your civil status.

The recognition of foreign documents and certificates in Belgium and their transcription into the civil status registers will be covered extensively in this section.

In some cases, the Head of a Belgian consulate abroad can act as a Registrar. This section clarifies which documents and certificates they may draw up.