On this page you will find all the information about registry.


On this page you will find all the information about the birth.
  1. Last updated on

1. Where should a birth be registered abroad and what to do with a birth certificate issued by another country?

The birth of a child abroad should be registered with the local authorities who will issue a birth certificate. This document is recognized in Belgium if the certificate has been issued by the relevant authority in accordance with the standard procedures in that country.

Recognition of a certificate does not automatically mean that its content is acceptable.
Please see the Acknowledgement of Parentage section for more information on this subject

A foreign birth certificate can be transcribed into a municipality's civil status register in Belgium. This makes it easy to obtain copies or extracts in Belgium.
For more information on this topic please visit the Registration Certificates section

In exceptional cases (within 30 days of a birth), a Belgian consulate abroad (outside the European Union) can also issue a birth certificate for Belgians who are born in their consular district.

2. How is parentage established under Belgian law?

Please see the Parentage section for further information

3. Does my child have the Belgian nationality?

Please see the Nationality section for further information on this topic

4. Which surname will my child be given?

Please see the Giving a name section for more information on this topic

Further information can also be obtained by contacting:

  • The Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs, Registry Service
  • The Belgian consulate in your place of residence abroad