Still valid on
Last updated on
FPS Foreign Affairs, Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation
rue des Petits Carmes / Karmelietenstraat 15 1000 Brussels, Belgium
General phone number: +32 (0)2 501 81 11
For questions related to consular and civil affairs
(assistance, civil status, nationality, belgian passport, visa application, legalisations):
every working day from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.: + 32 (0) 2 501 32 00
- Train: railway station Bruxelles Central - Brussel Centraal;
- Tram: 92 and 94 (Place Royale - Koningsplein);
- Metro: lines 2 and 6 (Porte de Namur - Naamsepoort);
- Bus: lines 27, 38, 71 or 95 (Place Royale - Koningsplein); lines 34, 54, 71 or 80 (Porte de Namur - Naamsepoort).
Follow the signs to central Brussels and take the Petite Ceinture/Kleine Ring, exit Porte de Namur/Naamsepoort.
FPS Foreign Affairs is open to the public every weekday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. You will need to make an appointment if you wish to visit at other times.
Please note that some services, such as legalisation, passports, Protocol, etcetera, have different opening hours, which you can consult below.
Opening hours of specific services
Some services are only open to the public at specific times (i.e. not all day):
Legalisation of documents
For the legalisation of documents, you can turn to our office window of the legalisation department situated in the Rue des Petits Carmes / Karmelietenstraat 27, 1000 Brussels. Opening hours: from 9 a.m. to 12.00 p.m. (by appointment only). You can only make an appointment via the link.
Opening times of the reception desk at the Protocol Directorate
The counter of the Protocol Directorate - Kleine Zavel/Petit Sablon 8, 1000 Brussels - is open twice a week, on Wednesdays and Fridays (from 9 am to noon). It is only possible to collect identity cards at the reception desk during opening hours.
Dispatching Office (23 rue des Petits Carmes / Karmelietenstraat)
- delivery of parcels and letters for departments at the Central Office: every weekday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.;
- delivery of goods by suppliers: every weekday from 8 a.m. to 3.30 p.m.;
- delivery of parcels and letters for the diplomatic pouch: Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., other weekdays from 9 a.m. to 12 noon.
As from 1 February 2007, the medical centre is longer be open to the public for yellow fever and meningitis vaccinations. It however continues to give general medical travel advice on (+32) 2 501 35 23 and (+32) 2 501 42 39..
Other services (15 rue des Petits Carmes / Karmelietenstraat)
You can consult the archives via the link.
Services available to the public by appointment only
These services are only accessible to the public by appointment:
- Press Office (accreditation of foreign journalists);
- Protocol Office;
- Interministerial Committee for the Reception of International Organisations: tel. 02.541.65.61
- Office for Information, Prevention and Assistance (aid to victims or individuals who enjoy special status, such as diplomats and international civil servants).
You can contact the following reception desks:
- reception desk at 15 Rue des Petits Carmes / Karmelietenstraat: every weekday from 7.30 a.m. to 7 p.m.;
- reception desk at 8 Petit Sablon / Kleine Zavel (Protocol): Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning from 9:00 to 12:00.